Thursday, September 20, 2018

"Slowly, Slowly" said the Sloth

For those of you who know Kevin well, these last 2 1/2 weeks have been literal torture for him.  He is a man not easily slowed.  He is a man of lists and tasks who loves to complete them and put checkmarks in the boxes.  Add to that the fact that the school year has just begun, and his eagerness to bring smiles to the faces of the students and staff at MCS, and you have a recipe for a very unhappy and anxious Kevin.
Mrs O's students made
Mr. Sall some cool shades.
This has been and is a journey filled with hills and valleys; highs and lows.  We are learning that this is going to be a long, slow healing process...months before he is completely healed.  There are some days when his right eye is looking slightly better and then we hit Sunday, and it looks worse again.  (Yep, it's seems to always happen on Sundays.)  But we take a deep breath, pray and press on.
If this fiasco has taught us anything, we have learned that we are not in control.  God has a plan and many times, like this time, it does not match the one of our own making.  And while we are still unclear as to His purpose behind this event in Kevin's (and our family's) life, we wake up each day knowing that He holds us, supports us and uplifts us with His loving and tender hands.


So, to all of you who have been:

  • praying...keep praying, for complete healing and patience. 
  • pinch hitting for him at Moline Christian...there is no price that can be put on how valuable that is and has been.
  • bringing us meals...THANK-YOU! (Of my own admission, I am a lousy receiver of such generosity but am learning and growing in that area.)
  • sending us cards, homemade sunglasses and class videos...each one has brought a smile to our faces and lifted our spirits.

To those of you who are wondering, yes, Kevin is back to work full time.  (He's just too darn big for me to sit on anymore.😜) However, he is restricted to only walking as his maximum physical activity until we see the doctor again in two weeks.  "Slowly, Slowly"...

Thanks again for all your continued prayers!


If you get a chance to listen here's the first part of a song that has really brought comfort to us in this last month: 
Hills and Valleys
  by Tauren Wells


I've walked among the shadows
You wiped my tears away
And I've felt the pain of heartbreak
And I've seen the brighter days
And I've prayed prayers to heaven from my lowestplace
And I have held the blessings
God, you give and take away
No matter what I have, Your grace is enough
No matter where I am, I'm standing in Your love
On the mountains, I will bow my life
To the one who set me there
In the valley, I will lift my eyes to the one who sees me there
When I'm standing on the mountain, I didn't get there on my own
When I'm walking through the valley end, no I am not alone!
You're God of the hills and valleys!
Hills and Valleys!
God of the hills and valleys
And I am not alone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4rRCjrAyCs (Here's a link to listen to it too. 😍)

2 comments: